Saturday, September 21, 2013

MY UNEXPECTED FOREVER by Heidi McLaughlin

MY UNEXPECTED FOREVER 
by Heidi McLaughlin
(The Beaumont Series 2)
Published: September 2, 2013, Heidi McLaughlin


My rating: 5 of 5 ⭐


Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Kobo
Barnes&Noble


I expected a life of music.
I expected to raise my son.
It took one look to make everything change.
I never expected happiness.

I never expected to find her.
I never expected to feel desire.
I never expected I’d be a family man.
I never expected to be loved.
I never expected to fall in love.

They say you should expect the unexpected, I didn’t realize my unexpected would be the forever kind.



When Harrison and his son Quinn settle in Beaumont, to be closer to the other members of the band, he hopes to be able to provide his son with a little more stable home life. He tells himself it has nothing at all to do with the recently widowed mother of twins, who also happens to be a good friend of Liam, their band leader. He and Quinn have always done fine on their own, ever since Quinn's mom dropped him off on Harrison's doorstep at only 3 days old. But after seeing Liam and his girl reconnect after all these years, Harrison realizes he misses that...... misses a connection with someone, and misses having a family to offer Quinn.

Moving on from being left behind is difficult. Katelyn can't seem to let go of her husband, and the girls are having problems too. Working for the band was a mistake, she thought it would help with bills and to keep her busy, but all it does is overwhelm her and put her in constant proximity of Harrison. Katelyn doesn't want to want Harrison, it's not right. She belongs to her husband, or she should, shouldn't she? 

*****

I finished reading FOREVER MY GIRL, the first in the Beaumont Series, and I'm glad I decided to read the series in sequence, it really helped understand the dynamics. I don't think I would have been able to appreciate the full effect of MY UNEXPECTED FOREVER, had I not done that.

This is a fantastic series, and I have to tell you, if you are hesitant because you think this is yet another "rocker romance", please put that out of your mind now!! These books have everything to do with seeing beyond the stereotypes and they describe that in the most beautiful of ways. 

The writer's dual POV offers a 360 degree insight into a complex emotional journey. One that does not just involve the main characters, but has a far reaching ripple effect on those around them. 
I have to admit, I crushed on Harrison in the worst possible way, but rough exteriors and marshmallow cores have a tendency to do that to me. And Harrison most definitely was one of those, on top of which although perhaps unconventional, he's a great father and a decent and affectionate man. Win, win, win!!! 
A cornered cat, that's what Katelyn reminded me of. Confused, hurt, out of her element and highly protective of her 'kittens'. She just couldn't trust anyone who wanted a piece of her heart, there wasn't much left to give and what she had was already so damaged, she was afraid one more dent would render it useless. The risk she was taking was tremendously big, and I don't think the people around her quite appreciated that.

Heidi McLaughlin has found a sweet spot, where everything seems to blend just right. The hard edge of rock and roll, the domestication of children, the lure of 'normalcy' and family life, the pain of growth and transition and the hot temptation of passionate love. Her writing doesn't take away from any of these aspects but honours them all.

There is no choice but to give full marks for this book and I hope not to have to wait too long for the next one..........I have to admit, I saw the beginnings of the next plot looming!!!

✨This provocative knockout breaks though stereotypes!!✨





No comments:

Post a Comment